Coke 10K Recap



I have never done a race recap before, but I HAVE to for the Coke 10K! I'll start with my weekly training and travel, then dive into the race.

I have been training to run a 10K for 6 weeks now, and I definitely tapered this week. The only training run I went on was Tuesday evening. I met up with my RFP group (www.stinkyfeettraining.com), and we did a two mile interval run. We alternated running quick for 1/8 of a mile, then recovered for 1/8 of a mile. I really enjoy running with this group of fine folks, and look forward to many training runs and races with them. They offer a ton of bonus perks to signing up to run with them as well:


The rest of the week was crazy busy with evening rehearsals and work stuff, so I got no other runs in. I was feeling the restless leg syndrome that seems to be a side effect of tapering!

Friday I drove to Tupelo so that I could stay with my dad and soon to be step-mom. My dad was running the race with me. I arrived around 8 PM, and we headed to Lost Pizza for some last minute carbs. It was delicious! I got back, laid out Flat Heather, and settled in for 7 hours of sleep.


My dad already had his race packet, but we had to leave early to pick up mine. I did not get any breakfast (my stomach was already upset), but I did get a coffee and big Smart Water. I will definitely eat before my half marathon in September, but I didn't need anything Saturday.

Packet pickup was easy. I knew my bib number, walked in, and got it. There were a few goodies inside -- our tech shirts (they have a great shirt!), a Coke tattoo (that I would have worn if I'd known it was a tattoo and not a sticker!), a wristband, and a flat water pouch. I pinned my number on, and was ready to enjoy a great morning!

Before the race, there was Zumba, convenient porta-potty access, and plenty of photo opportunities. I got to meet the social media famous Melinda Howard, who was being honored at the race. I'm a member of her facebook group for Mississippi runners, and we've been FB friends awhile, but it was my first time meeting her. All the MS Coffee Runners got a picture by the giant coke.





After this, we headed to the start line.  There was music, the CEO of Coke in Atlanta, a singing of America the Beautiful, and the wheelchair start. Then, we were off!

I'm really happy with how I ran! I can't say this was a really hard race, but it was deceptively challenging. There are plenty of long, sloping hills that start to get to you around mile 4. You can tell by my splits that that is where I started to have some trouble. The course is beautiful. You run through downtown and some very pretty neighborhoods. I took a GU around mile 3.

As we ran, crowd support was phenomenal. There was a water stop at almost every mile. Families had lawn chairs outside and groups had gathered to cheer us on. Kids were giving high fives like crazy. In addition to the water stops, there were also cold towels given out on the course and popsicles. Instead of taking my second GU, I opted for a peach popsicle. It gave me the burst I needed to finish!

After crossing the finish line, I texted my best friend "I did it!" He texted back, "I know! Tip: take your headphones off near the finish line so you can hear those that showed up to surprise you!" I had no idea he was coming! I found him and gave him the biggest hug. I wish I had known he was there so I could have seen him, but there is nothing like support from your favorite people!


As far as my results:
25/72 (Female 25 - 29)
208/726 Females
538/1303 overall

Not bad for someone who started running in February, right?!



Comments

  1. Congratulations on your 10K! You did a great job! It's always fun to run a race with so much crowd support. And the popsicle sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You did awesome! That is a really fun race. We did it last year and really enjoyed it. I'd say you are definitely doing great for someone who just started running in February!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! 10ks can be difficult to pace but you did a great job with that. It's very impressive for someone who has recently taken up running! Watch out -- you may have the racing bug like most of us here on the Weekly Wrap. LOL. How awesome your friend surprised you. Finish line hugs are the best! Thanks for linking, Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts