Heart of Mississippi 5K + A Set Back

I'm sorry it's been so long since i have touched the blog! With school coming to an end and trying to find an apartment, it has sadly been at the bottom of my priorities. Hopefully I can make it up this week!

My hip has been bothering the heck out of me since the Coke 10K, and I haven't been going about letting it heal. Every injury I have ever had I have been able to power through, so I thought this one would be the same. I decided to try picking up training this week (lightly), and here's what the week looked like -

Sunday - 2 miles
Monday - None
Tuesday - None
Wednesday - Walked 1
Thursday - 2.5 miles
Friday - None
Saturday - 3.1 @ Heart of Mississippi

You can see I never increased my miles and I ran all of these runs very slow. It was manageable for the weekdays, but during the 5K, it started getting very painful about halfway in. This is the first race since I started running in February that I walked portions.

Even though my hip problems definitely dampened my mood, I had a great time Saturday! I ran with the RFP team from Stinky Feet, and all five of us came home with some hardware! We brought home a Master's trophy, 3 2nds, and I brought home 3rd in my (very small) age group - hip, humidity, and all.

After more or less limping over the finish line with a time of 33:15 (my slowest race to date), I have decided to take a week of intentional rest. One day into my rest, and I'm already going crazy. The good news is it's a busy one: moving out of my classroom, completing paperwork for my new job, I'm housesitting for a week, and have rehearsals for the play that I am in.

 Here's hoping a week does me good. Any suggestions to promote healing of a strained hip flexor?

(You can even see me nursing my leg subconsciously in this picture. Ugh!)


I'm linking up with Missssippi Piddlin and HoHo Runs, as well as guest host Taking The Long Way Home for today's weekly wrap up!


Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about your hip! Congrats on your 5k though! A week of rest sounds good and if the issue doesn't go away, I'd get it checked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All this rest is making me so antsy, but I know it's good for me.

      Delete
  2. Hop flexor pain is real...have you tried massaging it? Ice? Or (gently) foam-rolling? Sometimes, I try to lie (flat on my back) and rotate the entire leg in LARGE circles...like, keeping the leg as straight as possible and circling it all the way over to each side of the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I am house sitting and didn't bring my foam roller. I am massaging it though and will try that exercise!

      Delete
  3. Hey congrats on that AG award even though it wasn't a fast race for you. Give it time and you'll be back to running like you use too. We've all had set backs before, hopefully you'll come back even stronger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Adding bling always encourages you no matter how slow the time was.

      Delete
  4. oh sorry to hear about the hip! definitely try to nip that problem in the bud before it gets worse! maybe you could do scissors or even some hip flexor stretches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try those exercises! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Hey, AG awards are good no matter the finish time! Rest up, wrap up the school year and before you know it you'll be back out there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about your hip issues! You did a great job on your 5K all things considered! It can be tough to take a step back but in the long run it really makes a difference. Hope you heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts