A Surprising Long Run



I have been training for the Coke 10K using the Nike Run Club app on my phone. I have been happy with the variety of workouts it gives me, and like that all my training info is in one place. I also have the ability to move workouts in a week, so if something comes up, I still have the opportunity to get my workout in.

Yesterday's workout called for an 8 mile run. The furthest I have ever been before is 7, which was the prior Saturday. I actually was really looking forward to this run! I ate a donut for breakfast (treat yoself... every now and then :) ), laced up my Brooks Adrenalines, and headed out to the Natchez Trace for a nice, long run.

My app has me set to run my long runs at an 11:29 pace. I stretched, turned on STown on my phone (obsessed), and started out. I wasn't pushing, breathing heavy, or anything. To my surprise, when I got my first pace update, I was running at a 9:29 pace. That's faster than I have ever run or raced. I was completely baffled, and contributed my surge of energy to the donut. I was sure it was going to die down as I continued my run.

As I dove deeper into the tragic life of John B. Macklemore and smiled to all of the passing runners, walkers, and bikers, I was continually staying at a pace of 9:29 - 9:40. I know it probably sounds like I was pushing myself, but I swear, I felt like I was jogging the entire time. Training pays off. This would have felt like torture a month and a half ago!

I hit a sub 30 5K, a sub 60 10K... and then my Achilles tendon on my left foot started feeling odd. I decided then to cancel my last mile, and walked the last .55 to my car. After rest, ice, and heat, my foot feels way better today and I think I will go out on a short run, but not the tempo I have scheduled for today.

I am so proud of myself! Some days it feels like I am making NO progress, but then I have days like yesterday where something comes so easily it feels like second nature. I know I am not going to place at Corinth, but I feel fairly confident I can finish in under 60.



***I'm linking up with MissSippi Piddlin and Ho Ho Runs this week for their weekly wrap up! Great way to meet other runner bloggers!

Comments

  1. Congrats on your longest run ever! Don't you just love runs that feel like that? It's validation for all the hard work. You know, maybe I should try fueling with a donut! I'm trying phone apps as I try a new HR monitor (I've always been a Garmin gal). I'll definitely look into Nike Run Club app. Thanks for linking, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never want donuts, so I don't know what got into me! Could be a fluke, but I'm calling it a good thing. I have enjoyed Nike Run Club so far. :)

      Delete
  2. Great job on your long run! Awesome pace too! I'm Katie from Footprints of Faith. I have to use my old google account to comment on blogspot. Thanks for stopping by my blog too! So nice finding fellow MS runners! I've heard of the Coke 10k! Wish it was close to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katie! I feel like us MS girls are like diamonds in the rough online. So many of us love to run, but I feel like we have a small presence on the web. I live a good bit away from the race, but will be traveling for it.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your long run!!! It's such a great feeling, isn't it?!?! Especially when it's fairly comfortable and enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was seriously the nicest run! Thanks for stopping by :D

      Delete
  4. Great run! Sometimes I have days where my runs feel effortless and I can't believe I am hitting the paces I do. And then other days I struggle to maintain a certain pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, today was like that for me! My body was tired. Supposed to do a 3 mile tempo, but I ran it as a recovery. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the Weekly Wrap Heather I'm so glad to hear your a fellow Mississippi runner too. I'm closer to Meridian but I love to travel to races.
    I have been looking at the coke run, but not sure yet if I'll make it this year.
    That's pretty awesome when you feel so good and running is effortless. Those don't happen much in our weather so I know you enjoyed it.
    I look forward to keeping up with you. What's next on your running radar after Cornith?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped that yesterday felt lovely. I'm not ready for 90+ days. Summer is so hard!

      I'm sure I will run several 5Ks over summer, but I plan on running the Tupelo half in September. I know it isn't the ideal first half marathon for anyone, but my dad lives in Tupelo and the race is on my birthday. It gives me a decent amount of time to train and get ready for a new distance :)

      Glad to have found the Weekly Wrap!

      Delete
  6. Hello from another fellow Mississippi girl! Actually, I think we must be in the same area since you mentioned running on the Trace. I live in Madison and run the Multi Use trail in Ridgeland that runs alongside the Natchez Trace ...same place, perhaps?

    As to the Coke 10k ...I ran it last year and loved it! It is a fabulous race, well organized and has a fun post race gathering. Take a chair and hang out for a while listening to the band, they were really good. Last year it was super hot and there are a few hills but they had people out on the course handing out cold wet towels!! Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, congratulations on your longest run! When I first started running, each longer run got me SO excited. I would always think, "Ahhhh I've never ran this far before!" then want to continue pushing the distance on later runs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts